User-agent: Googlebot-Image< Disallow: / Write Write Baby: Scrapguilting

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Scrapguilting

I consider myself a creative person. At least, I used to. I mean, I'm supposed to be creative for a living. So why is one simple project making me suicidal?

You see, now that I'm a mom, I decided that I should create a memento of my child's life. Yes, god help me, I'm trying to make a scrapbook.

It started off so promisingly. Go to Michaels (a place that has always given me the heebie jeebies), pick up some supplies and create a masterpiece.

After nearly 2 hours torturing myself at Michaels last weekend (I only managed to get out of there because my mother-in-law helped me pick things out), I am now sitting on my couch, surrounded by scrapbooking crap - the scrapbook itself, cute little premade sayings like "Special Delivery," and fun little cutouts of duckies and other baby stuff.


Now what the hell do I do?

I mean, seriously. I don't know how to get started. I don't think these projects are made for Libras. I have a hard enough time deciding what to eat for dinner. Now, I'm faced with hundreds of decisions at once.

First, I have to pick a color of paper to put on each page. To make it worse, the paper's reversible! Now I have to decide which SIDE of the paper to pick.

After that, what photos go on each page? Do I frame them or not? What cute little sayings or stickers do I use? What the hell am I supposed to do with the ribbon included with my scrapbook? Do I want to have a title on the page?

To make this all worse, my mother-in-law presented me with a selection of specialty scissors. That's right, people. There are special scrapbooking scissors with different edges. Do I want the picture or paper to have a round edge or a jagged edge? Do I want it wavy round or perm-like round? I have SIX different choices of scissors now.

I look at the sample photos and feel totally overwhelmed. I feel like a terrible mom for wanting to quit already. I mean, this mom obviously found the time to create an album for her kid.


Can I just pay someone to do this for me? If so, will I go to hell if I lie and tell people that I made it myself?

By the way, a Yahoo! search for scrapbooking?

18,200,000 results

I have to go lay down.

4 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger MetroDad said...

Absolutely pay someone to scrap book for you. I think there's a cottage industry of SAHMs who would love nothing more than to piece together your memories. We've been meaning to do a scrapbook for almost two years now. All we've got to show for our efforts are three shoe boxes filled with random crap. They're nice shoe boxes though. Does that count for anything?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger MrsFortune said...

That's rough. I say do it yourself. Just .. uh take your time? I dunno. There are classes though at Michael's and other crafty stores. check those out maybe? I have no idea I've never done it before but a class could probably help!

Nice site. :)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Okay, don't panic like this. You have more options that YOU can do and is less money too. Scrapbooking was never something I grasped either. Try this... go to snapfish.com or shutterfly.com and upload ALL your photos and make books this way, the right way, the efficient way. The templates are adorable and it's so much more fun to do.
Other sites of interest:
mypublisher.com
picaboo.com
photoworks.com

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Gina said...

PS: Not only am I publishing better scrapbooks, I am also "scrapbooking" online with my blog. My hubby is in the print industry and will publish my blog later. Your baby girl will care more about her history and pictures more than my boy will, but if I don't do it, I will forget these precious moments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home