User-agent: Googlebot-Image< Disallow: / Write Write Baby: It's a Girl!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's a Girl!

I told myself that I would never dress Baby Girl in pink every day. I mean, who needs to enforce arbitrary gender stereotypes? My baby will be able to wear blue any time she wants. So we proudly wore our green, yellow and blue.

And then it started. "Oh, what a handsome boy." "He's so cute. What's his name?" "What a big boy!"

Now I have to start worrying about whether I'm giving the poor kid an identity crisis. I don't bother correcting random strangers, but with people who are going to see her more than once, I feel like I have to say something. And then I have to deal with the rounds of apologies.

"She's a girl." "Oh, I'm sorry." "Well, it's my fault. She is dressed like a boy." "No, I should have known." blah blah blah

So now we're cherishing the joy of pink...

3 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, Blogger musicmantra said...

Ah I feel you, I have always hated dressing my kids in the sterotypical colors and oh the so many times
I got people saying to my dd oh what a cute boy and to my ds oh what a cute girl.. but ah i love blue on girls and on myself as well :)

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger kiwidebra said...

Thanks Brian! I think she's adorable too. And I used to perform sketch and improv in gay bars with The Gay Mafia. You should check them out if you're ever back in LA.

And Mistry, I love blue on Baby Girl too! And the easiest outfit we have is blue & green (snaps all over that sucker) so she'll be called a boy until she starts dressing herself!

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came here via Girl's Gone Child, and I'll sooo be back. Great stuff!

I'm not yet a mama myself, but parenthood is on the horizon, and I'm kind of dreading the whole pink/girl-or-blue/boy thing. I love a baby girl in a blue jumper, or a little boy in a pink t-shirt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home